Translation is writing.” —Marguerite Yourcenar
Disseminating ideas and research in a foreign language calls for a translator who understands the technical vocabulary and related concepts of the field and who has strong language and writing skills. As the Times Higher Education notes, “
A misplaced preposition or poor choice of verb can ruin a convincing narrative, reducing the probability of publication in a top international journal and limiting the impact of the research.”
As an experienced translator and researcher with a proven record of published scholarly translations and published articles in French and in English, I have an excellent grasp of the specifics of publishing in the social sciences and the humanities.
In my work, I strive to unite precision and attention to detail with the stylistic versatility needed for translating not only formal academic writing but also the direct speech of case histories and interviews. These same skills allow me to provide accurate, nuanced and engaging translations of texts written for the general public.
Fields in which I work
- Psychoanalysis (Theoretical)
- Philosophy and Critical Theory
- Literary Criticism
- Film and Art Theory
- Heterodox Economics
- Anthropology and Sociology
- Other fields in the Social Sciences and Humanities
- Higher Education
Background: Published specialist in psychoanalysis and critical theory, knowledge of related fields; extensive experience with the French and American university systems.
- Psychoanalysis (Clinical)
- Institutional Psychotherapy and Anti-Psychiatry
- Mental Health
- Health Care
- General Medical
Background: Attending case presentations in French mental hospitals and other clinical settings; study groups with practicing clinicians. One year teaching English in a Master’s in Healthcare Administration program.
Services I provide
- French to English translation, for specialists and the general public, of all kinds of documents related to my fields: academic articles, books, theses and dissertations, proposals, essays, presentations, abstracts, letters, brochures, websites, teaching materials and more!
- English editing and proofreading
- Bibliographical and other research
- Preparing texts for submission to academic journals
For a list of my recent projects, please click the “More information” button below.
My clients include
- University professors
- Research departments
- Publishing houses
- Translation agencies